Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Level 2 and 15 Pounds Lighter (on Earth)

Say hello to me at Level 2!

Level up!
I lost 15 pounds during the course of level 1!
I hesitate to mention this, since weight is a measurement of gravity’s pull on my person and I clearly need to get a scale that measures mass instead this was not exactly the focus of my training and because that number itself bears such a heavy connotation. People become obsessed with that number over the others, when really all of them are just increments we created systematically to understand ourselves in the universe a little better.

At any rate, I've lost 15 pounds. According the BMI scale I am still “obese”, but I am pounds away from dropping into “overweight”. As much as I like numbers, I have always had problems with this one. The table is too cut and dry, and takes so few variables into account. I in no way wish to purport that I am in the obese category due to my massive, bulging muscles. I have a lot of work to do and I know it. Hence this training! However, it is generally accepted that the BMI tables are limited in scope, and I am still sorting out how they play into a computative overall health assessment.

Numbers were a big part of my motivation to get healthy though. I had neglected my general health for a long time, to a somewhat horrifying degree. Shortly after my 30th birthday this fall I went to a doctor for the first time since my postpartum exam nearly two years ago. After being poked and prodded and generally assessed, I received confirmation in the mail that my overall feelings of yuck were indeed the result of my horrible physical health. My cholesterol and blood pressure were both dangerously high, and my habit of skipping meals with the aid of a constant stream of Mt. Dew had done awful things to the rest of me.

My brain likes to have data to be reassured that I am following a logical course of actions, and seeing the numbers in print shocked me into paying a little more attention to my poor cardiovascular system. I changed my diet significantly, and made it a priority to walk at least 30 minutes every weekday. At my checkup last week, my blood pressure was beautifully normal! Remembering those numbers helps me put one foot in front of the other on the days when walking in the mall feels a bit lackluster.
My track, until Nature is more inviting
When I look back on my goals for level 1, I am reminded that they were not entirely physical. I increased the amount of time I spent reading things offline, and every day I made a little more progress in the battle called Housework. I spent more of my free time doing the things that I wanted to spend my free time doing, and I finished some huge projects that had been looming for months. I didn’t master everything that I put on my list, but I did get better at some of the things I wanted to get better at - and I have proof in spreadsheet form!

At this point I would like to award myself 1 rank in each of the following skills

With a new level comes new challenges, so here are my goals and points for level 2! I am upping the number of points for the level to 1100, and my goal is to reach level 3 by the first day of Spring. I have succeeded in no longer being completely sedentary, so I am adding a small amount of strength and flexibility training to the mix. I also want to make planning a reasonable garden a high priority, as well as implementing a rough schedule for housework (something I intended to do in level 1 but did not accomplish).

I have also added a stand alone page for my current level goals and points.

Perhaps Level 3 will at long last be the time to implement my tactical housework map!

3 comments:

  1. Have I already said how much I love your blog? Yes? Well I'm saying it again: I love your blog. It's both fun and inspirational. You rule immensely.

    And, BTW, congratulations on the pounds lost and the good blood pressure numbers! Worthy goals, worthily gained. Wishing you luck on the Level 2 skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!

    Yes, BMI is quite flawed, but thankfully, it's just one variable and not the whole picture. Well done on dropping your blood pressure to normal levels. As you continue to eat healthier and exercise, the other factors will follow. I wish more people were as motivated and disciplined as you (myself included)!

    That is one cool form, and all the best for the next level up!

    ReplyDelete