Saturday, February 12, 2011

Character Sheet and Important Level 2 Updates

Firstly, I was delighted to find this AD&D stats quiz online and did not hesitate to apply it to my training.

The quiz results reinforced the fact that I have neglected the physical for far too long. While I still have a long way to go, I am far more comfortable in my body than I was at the beginning of my training. In fact, I've progressed enough that today this happened:
The elliptical is obscuring the science officer's logo on my Star Trek uniform.

I did about 30 minutes of cardio at Core Fitness. The last time I tried to do any sort of high intensity workout, I spent a significant percentage of my time standing outside in roller skates emptying the no-contents of my stomach onto the pavement. After spending the last 10 weeks or so walking daily, I was able to exercise without disastrous gastrointestinal rebellion. Huzzah!

Finding myself in a fitness club was still a bit surreal. Until recently, I was under the misconception that a commitment to fitness was a product (to some degree) of vanity. I thought that anyone who would put themselves through all those horribly uncomfortable things must be overly concerned with their own appearance. I was oblivious to the entire field of sports psychology, and thought that the health benefits of exercise were only available if you made a huge commitment. Besides, I'm a nerd. Sweating isn't part of our subculture.

Oh, how times have changed.

Bobby Fischer reportedly incorporated physical training as a part of his preparation for tournaments - especially swimming and tennis. This was due to the fact that chess matches could drag on for hours, and he found that keeping his lungs in shape helped him maintain the supply of oxygen to his brain. His opponent's fatigue would inevitably result in foolish mistakes as Fischer's physical endurance helped him stay on top of his game through the end. My brain likes oxygen too, so I am finding the effects of exercise and proper diet on IQ to be a motivational force as well.

My primary fitness goal is still the one that inspired me to get on my feet in the first place:

If The Doctor were to show up today, I'd be left in the dust. This cannot happen!!

My other goals are to be more present in my body and to no longer be at high risk for heart attack.

When calculating my current experience points I realized that I am only checking in with my google worksheet about 40% of the time. At first I felt that this reflected a lack of commitment to my training regiment, and that the lost experience points were fair compensation for lost focus. But I am consciously thinking about my goals many times every day, so I know this is not the case.

I've noticed more than anything that I am becoming aware of the moments throughout the day where I am faced with the small decisions that make up my habits. For example, I have been attempting to stop drinking soda for years, but I still buy it without much thought. I've switched from Mt. Dew to Diet Coke since my training began, but I am still regularly drinking disgusting slurry that costs more per gallon than gasoline. I recently added a section on my worksheet where I get 1 point for every time I choose to drink water - up to nine points per day. I still crack open a can here and there, but my consumption of H2O is relatively through the roof even though I often forget my official reward.

Here's to unexpected benefits and surviving outside of the comfort zone.

1 comment:

  1. It is always a high point of my day to read your new posting! Not only do I chuckle -- Besides, I'm a nerd. Sweating isn't part of our subculture.
    -- but I feel inspired too. For too long I've viewed my body as a way to carry my brain around, but now you give me research about exercise/nutrition and intelligence. Hmmmm.... Resistance is beginning to feel futile! (And thank you for that.)

    ReplyDelete